45% of Nursing Home Staff Still Unvaccinated Against COVID-19

Data shows challenge of keeping the coronavirus out of facilities. In the nation’s nursing homes, an average of only 55 percent of workers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to new federal data, even though these long-term care facilities have witnessed massive carnage from the pandemic, including almost 135,000 COVID-19 deaths among residents and staff. Vaccination rates […]

Covid vaccine: tens of thousands of UK nurses yet to receive first dose

Tens of thousands of nurses across the UK have not had their first coronavirus vaccine, sparking fears that they could contract Covid-19 or infect patients. A Royal College of Nursing (RCN) survey of 24,370 nurses found that 85% had had at least one dose, with the remaining 15% unvaccinated. The findings show that the government is in […]

Ramsgate covid vaccination programme completes all elderly care home residents and staff jabs

An update has been given on covid vaccination progress for people registered with Ramsgate GP surgeries. The five Ramsgate practices, Dashwood, East Cliff, The Grange, Newington and Summerhill, are working together to deliver the vaccine programme. Between the five practices they care for over 51,000 patients across Ramsgate. The Montefiore Medical Centre, which houses both East […]

Covid vaccination: 24-hour vaccines ‘aren’t suitable for vulnerable, elderly people’ says union

Unison said: ‘When it’s the turn of younger people, 24/7 clinics may well be appropriate’ Launching a 24-hour vaccination programme may not be the best use of healthcare staff who are currently already overburdened during the coronavirus pandemic, the UK’s largest healthcare union has said. Unison, which represents NHS staff members including nurses, said round-the-clock vaccinating would be […]

The vaccine isn’t a silver bullet for longstanding pressures in elderly care

Jitesh Patel, Project Director at Kajima Partnerships,  discusses why the vaccine is not a silver bullet for longstanding pressures in elderly care and how the sector must adapt post-pandemic The coronavirus pandemic has highlighted long-standing pressures on elderly living in the UK. Whilst the recent rollout of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is a promising step in relieving the impacts […]

Why are France’s elderly not queuing up to get the Covid vaccine?

France launched its Covid vaccination campaign with the aim of prioritising elderly people and staff in nursing homes: a total of close to a million people. The campaign has been slow to take off and, despite the vulnerablility of such elderly residents, many are not keen to get the jab. How come? France’s decision to […]

Thousands invited to new NHS vaccination centre at Stevenage

One of the country’s first seven centres for mass vaccination against Coronavirus will open in Stevenage this week. The centre at Robertson House will initially be used to inoculate people from part of our region who are aged 80 and over. Thousands of letters are currently being sent to those eligible at this stage and […]

All adults to be offered a Covid jab ‘by the autumn’

MATT HANCOCK REVEALS MORE THAN 2 MILLION PEOPLE HAVE BEEN VACCINATED IN THE UK AS OF SUNDAY, JANUARY 10 All adults are expected to be offered a Covid vaccine by the autumn, Matt Hancock has said. The Health Secretary said the UK had more than 350 million doses on order and vaccinations are being rolled […]